Nutrition is political.|global.|micro.|macro.|science.|cellular.|humanity.|security.|justice.|power.
A Trusted Voice for Nutrition
Making An Impact in 2018-19
Moving from scholarship to action requires getting the word out in a way that matters to the public. Our faculty, staff, researchers, alumni, and students are experts at translating cutting edge science and smart policy beyond the academy. This year, we awarded the inaugural $100,000 Jean Mayer Prize for Excellence in Nutrition Science and Policy, modeled the potential effects of "Food is Medicine" initiatives, and presented events including student-led policy groups and data summits. There's always something happening here to shape the food environment into a healthier and more equitable system.
By the Numbers 2018-19
By the Numbers - 2018-19
These numbers, unless noted otherwise, reflect activities and achievements in the time period of July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019.
- Donor numbers reflect the number of individual donors to the school. Every gift from our friends makes a difference!
- Online impressions are a combination of views from across our web properties. Including our main school site, our affiliated sites, and all social media channels. An impression is counted when our content is presented to a person. Users do not have to engage with or share the content for it to be counted, but they usually do!
- Online program course numbers include one make-your-own program track. Learn more about all of our online courses.
- Faculty publication numbers were provided by Academic Analytics and run through a calendar year with a submitted set of faculty names.
- Runners on the Tufts Marathon Team reflect the number of running bibs provided by John Hancock Insurance as part of our years long collaboration. The runners are from across campus, not just at the Friedman School. Read more about this year's marathon!
- Volunteer leader numbers include our Board of Advisors, The Alumni Executive Council, the Food and Nutrition Innovation Council, and the Tufts Nutrition Council. Their generous gift of time and energy throughout the year is invaluable.
- Grant-funded research project numbers reflect all of the currently active research projects that have been fully or partially funded as of June 30, 2019.
- Media mentions were tabulated using the PR tool Meltwater and were gathered by the University's Public Relations office.
- Years since the last White House Conference on Nutrition reflects the number of years that have passed since the last, and so far only, White House Conference of Nutrition was held in 1969. Read more about this year's event.
- These alumni numbers are not inclusive of all graduates from our online certificate programs.
- Entrepreneurship contest prizes reflects the total amount awarded to all levels of winners in the 2019 competition. the number of innovative ideas that people across Tufts University submitted to our contest. Read more about this year's kickoff event and see how the finalists pitched their visions to judges and the audience.
- Masters and PhD students are those students who are currently enrolled at the school across all of our graduate programs as of June 30, 2019. This count is not inclusive of enrolled certificate students.
Individual Donors This Year
Unique Online Certificate Courses
Runners on the Tufts Marathon Team
Grant Funded Research Projects
Years since the Last White House Conference on Nutrition
Alumni Making an Impact
In Prizes Awarded to Entrepreneurs
Masters and PhD Students
A Global Perspective
Research & Activities in 2018-19
The many research projects we highlight are designed to take the long view. From ongoing research to make food aid healthier to supporting the new generation of food entrepreneurs, the impact we make is truly global. Our expertise in gathering stakeholders and creating scholarship shows that supporting our community of faculty, staff, students, and alums is always a worthy investment.